Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Cry Character Analysis: Msimangu

Through Msimangu, the author Paton exemplifies optimism found during hard times. Msimangu is one of the few bright spots in Johannesburg for Kumalo who finds himself living through hard times when he is thrust into the unknown and confusing world of the big city.

"I shall do it gladly. My brother, I have of course my own work to do, but so long as you are here, my hands are yours" (24).

"Something in the humble voice must have touched Msimangu, for he said, 'I am not kind. I am a selfish and sinful man, but God put his hands on me, that is all'" (25).

"... I have one great fear in my heart, that one day when they are turned to loving, they will find we are turned to hating" (40).



The humble devotion and and optimism that Msimangu gives to Kumalo demonstrates how Msimangu is a bright spot in an otherwise dark place for Kumalo. This image of sun coming through dark clouds represents that optimistic presence Msimangu has in Kumalo's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment