Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

John Kumalo

John Kumalo (A Blogged Analysis)

John Kumalo, in contrast to Stephen's innocence and loyalty, shows an acute sense of anger and also his loss of faith, two characteristics that he has gained through his experiences with racism in Johannesburg.

"I do not say we are free here. I do not say we are free as men should be. But at least I am free of the chief. At least I am free of an old and ignorant man, who is nothing but a white man's dog"(35).

"His voice grew louder, and he was again addressing people who were not there"(36).

"'That is my experience,' he said. 'That is why I no longer go to the church.' 'And that is why you did not right anymore.' 'Well, well, it could be the reason.' 'That, and your wife Esther?' 'Yes, yes, both perhaps. It is hard to explain in a letter. Our customs are different here'"(37).


No comments:

Post a Comment