Pages

Friday, April 24, 2015

Flash fiction sim chahal

Sim Chahal
Ms.Tompkins
World literature P.2
4/21/15

The nature of Success
I was frustrated I worked so hard that my mind and body mentally and physically took the form of a football. It was June 10th 2013 the heat was intense trapping us and contained us everywhere we went. The Egan vikings were scheduled to compete against the best team in the nation for a spot to compete in state tournament. The game was scheduled at 5:00 p.m. at Foothill colleges football field. Tickets were sold out this the biggest game of my life. In no sport ever have I ever made it to county.
Its 5:29 pm the game is quite the scene.  We are losing by two touchdowns and there are only 15 minutes left in the game. Number 29 just scored, the crowd screams and shouts and swarm him like an intruder entering their nest. The Vikings are now only down only by 1 touchdown and coach dan calls a timeout. He huddles us in for a pep talk,
“We have to play harder. You number 39 need to make more catches, oh and good job number 29 good catch! We need this win, you Sim you will be subbing number 29 out.” Surprised I shakily stuttered
“O O..O.Ok” Then I nervously walked back to the bench. Coach dan gives me a look and then and nods his head. His eagle like eyes are then quickly focused back on my teammates.
He then shouts “We have 5 minutes till we play”. Astonished I frantically walk back to my teammates who are all lost in their own world. I eyed the clock it was frozen at 9:59. We then entered the field. The sheer strenght of the field stipped down of my dignity within seconds and drowned me in a sea filled with nervousness. Just like that I was nothing. repelled by this mixed emotion the quarterback suddenly calls us in and yells”huddle up!!
Everyone goes towards him not a smile to be seen. Everyone marching single field like they were young soldiers ready for battle. He huddles us up sweat dripping from his brow, He eyes at his wrist and says “Number 29, 46, 68 and 72” will be wide receivers we will be running a hail mary. Wait what did he say “72” there must have been a mistake I wasn’t ready. But no there was no mistake confused I unsteadily walk to the ball right next to my teammates. Who give me a death glare and disgustedly addresses me by
“You better catch it”. At this point I knew I was near by impending doom. I turn my head to coach dan one last time and he just nods his head. Thoughts of past games come rushing through my head of when I failed. The quarterback readies up and shouts loud enough for people in the East coast to hear it “Down”
I ready up, flashbacks penetrate my mind bringing back those All those memories penetrating  into by brain I can visualize the scenery. Those scorching days when I invested hours of my time just to improve myself and come home drenched in sweat and as stiff as a stuffed turkey on Thanksgiving. The quarterback then yells “Set” I bend my knees and set my hands up down I was ready to shoot into the endzone. Another memory flows into my mind  the last time I was on the field. We were up by one playing our rival team Blach.I remember I bolted into the end zone the ball had perfect aerodynamics and settled right into my hands but I dropped it. The quarterback then screams “hike” everyone on my team acts as if they were part of a clock and of the gears worked in unison. I bolted towards the end zone the other team trying hard to catch up to me the ball is thrown spinning through the air like a bullet about to hit the target.
I look back and wonder “did he actually throw it to me? Mystified I throw my hands up and the ball has hit its target. I caught It! An explosion of  emotions conquer my body I was clueless. I dumbondely think to myself
“this is my first catch of the season”. The relief of all those back breaking and several hours I spent finally paid off. The excitement reaches my mind as I run closer to the touchdown I can almost hear someone narrating the game and counting down
“10, 9, 8,7, 6, 5”. 5 years  left I slow down by pace I was a foot away from the touchdown when I felt a iron like grip on my right shoulder. I was thrown on the ground like a ragdoll. At the end I didn’t make a touchdown we lost the county game. We could have made record but I didn’t score. But at the end my teammates inform me that number 38 is getting disqualified from the team because he illegally pulled my flag. My teammates and coach dan gave me a reassuring look and he calmly says
“you might always receive the results you were looking for, but success will come in some way” and he walks off. I had made it, I proved every doubter on the team wrong, success did come in one way.





2 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting piece to read. The tension in the football game made the piece interesting to read, and the manipulation of time elements illustrates brings me into the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your story. From reading it I felt all your emotions and how you were on an emotional roller coaster that day. I also really enjoyed how you showed the reader instead of telling them, this really helped me be there with you during that moment.

    ReplyDelete