Pages

Friday, April 24, 2015

You will never know (poem...about coffee)

You will never know
by Spencer Dembner
You will never know.
You will never know the sight,
when a thin stream of water
arcs elegantly out of the kettle,
striking the surface of the grounds
and marking them.

No way to explain it.
No way to explain the swirl
of a vacuum pot, pushing,
pulling the water through a filter.
No way to explain
the irrational happiness that comes
with a brew ending on time,
the timer sounding just as you watch the last drops drain.

Figure skating, tap dancing, ballet.
A choreographed dance of steam
and grinds and noise.
No way to explain, no need to try.

For coffee, no need for anything but the now.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked your description of the process as a "choreographed dance." It almost added a personality to the coffee. I also really enjoyed the simplicity of the words and how you weren't overly flowy with description, but had just enough

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had great description and you really made the poem come to live. Your word choice was great and a big part of why your poem was so good. Good Job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you decided to do a poem about coffee I think it's amazing, and really well executed too. Your descriptions about how it's actually made doesn't seem like a process but more of "a way of life" (idk if that makes sense). And like Sana, I liked how you mentioned the steam was a "choreographed dance", I've never really thought of it that way and now that I think about it, it is. goood jobb :)

    ReplyDelete