Your
Black
Could be someone’s
White
Could be someone’s
Black
Both are colors just the same
But do you think yours is superior?
Maybe you are arrogant or
Maybe you just don’t know any better than to put yourself at the top
Yet if you walk through life on stilts
You are looking down on everybody
Those sticks are not stable ground
You are
Alone
You will fall
Or sometimes you feel like an ant scurrying along a seemingly neverending path
And it appears easy for everyone else to walk through it.
You know you’re never going to get there before they will,
Even though you are running as fast as you can.
They are taking easy strides with less effort and still finishing first
So why should you try?
You are at the bottom
You think you are looking up for inspiration but really
You are only setting standards you can’t reach and it isn’t because your arms are too short or you aren’t strong enough to touch it or your tippy toes just can’t point enough
It is because that tree was not growing for you
It’s not your property and it’s not your life
There’s no harmony in comparing yourself to others until the point where you are not satisfied with your own being
It isn’t about ranking on a scoreboard or arranging people like a stacked pile of freshly folded laundry
Please try
Next time your eyes jealously gloss over to another person’s paper and you wish you wrote what they wrote and you want to see what they saw and do what they did
Don’t let your stomach become queasy and let the tears rush to your eyes
Relax
Breathe in
Find peace when you embrace the differences instead of picking a side that is better
And there is no point in putting yourself in someone else’s shoes if you are going to tear them apart and cover them in dirt
or polish them when the other person didn’t want them touched
You can look at their shoes
Observe them
Embrace them
But maybe you are not ready to put them on yet
Great Job Amy ! You have a great structure and your poem is very unique ! :)
ReplyDeleteI love your first stanza and the entire message of your poem. It was nicely done. :)
ReplyDeleteI loved your whole entire poem, it was so creative and very unique. I wrote about pretty much the same thing, and as I was reading it in my head I thought "Amy's is so good, I wish I could write like that", and then I read the stanza that started with "Please try" and I realized what I was doing. This relates to my life so much, and made me reflect on my actions in a different way. Good job, it was amazing!
ReplyDeleteAMY this is so amazing! I really connected with this and your words helped me put things into perspective :) Your words are very strong and inspirational
ReplyDeleteI like the variety in this poem. The sentence length changes throughout the poem, ans so does the length of each stanza.
ReplyDelete