Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Rooster of Power, and The Color of Communism


peacock-90051_1280.jpg

Rooster Alarm Clock:

Thesis: The author uses the symbolism of the rooster alarm clock to demonstrate that whoever is in charge of the alarm clock has power over the lives of everyone in the village.

Quotes:
1. “Luo had a brainstorm: with his little finger he slid the hands of the clock back by one hour. We got back into bed to enjoy our lie-in” (15).

2. “I was convinced that the real reason behind his liberal attitude was the irresistible attraction of our alarm clock, with its proud peacock-feathered rooster… The only way he could have it all to himself, even for a short time, was to dispatch us to Yong Jing. During the four days it took us to get there, see the film and return to our village, he would be lord and master of the clock” (80).


flag-38969_1280.png

Red and the Three Blood Spots in Headman's eye

Thesis: Sijie uses the symbol of the three red blood spots in the Headman’s eye to represent the influence of communism in the peasant villages, where red is the color of communism.

Quotes:
1. “The headman held the violin upright and peered into the black interior of the body, like an officious customs officer searching for drugs. I noticed three blood spots in his left eye, one large and one small, all the same shade of bright red” (3).

2. “At that instant the glint of the vigilant Communist reappeared in the headman’s eyes, and his voice turned hostile… Again I was alarmed by the three spots of blood in his left eye” (5).





5 comments:

  1. I had not thought of the three blood spots when analyzing the book for symbols. This provides a great base for the idea of Mao's ever-watching communist eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you related the red spots on the headman's eye to that of the vigilant communist. I would have never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea that whoever has the rooster alarm clock is in control of the entire village is an aspect that I would not have thought of. It's very interesting and good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your titles are very creative and powerful for the message you were trying to portray. Connecting the symbol of the red spots on the eye with communism was perfect. I did not make that connection when reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea with the thoughts on the blood spots! The message you conveyed was very vivid and I was having trouble connecting the blood spots back to the main thesis of the topic, so this was just a great representation! I feel like I learned something :)

    ReplyDelete