When people do not understand
The colorful curving arch,
The opalescence of the human mind
They hide their ignorance
Behind accusations of bizarreness
They label creativity as ‘craziness’
And uniqueness is ‘seeking attention’
And being who you are is seen too abstract and foreign
For people that lack the ability
To explore the complexion of their imagination
But what if
Those of us who dare
To think beyond the nonsense exhorted by society
Those of us who douse
Ourselves in the colors of creativity
Those of us who refuse to waste our breath talking about
Common ideals that don’t matter
What if we are the ones who are really sane
We are constantly told how to think
And we are constantly told that in order to be accepted or respected
We need to fit into a box
Where the boiling red of activism
And the buried blue of emotion
The shimmering gold of uniqueness
Is bleached
And covered with a layer of blankness
So it all looks the same
So all the opalescence is gone
We are not meant to be blank
We are not meant to be identical
And the more you try to force something into a box that doesn’t fit
The more you squeeze
Twist
And bend
The more likely it will be
To crack under the pressure 

I like how you are use metaphors for our society and how it "puts us in a box"
ReplyDelete-Duncan
I really like this! I like all the details you use- it lets the reader visualize what's happening in the poem. I also thought the thoughts you put into this poem were really complex and interesting to think about.
ReplyDeleteI really like the relevance to society. Also, your words and vocabulary flow beautifully and there are no awkward spots.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe way the photos complimented your poem really stood out to me! Good Job!
ReplyDeleteThis is an amazing poem! I really liked how you used multiple opposite phrases to describe the same idea. My favorite part is when you talk about conforming to society towards the end. Your picture is perfect, and connects to what you are saying perfectly!
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate the connection you made to society, and I think a lot of people in this class can relate to your message.
ReplyDelete