Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Opposites


To consider something fully,
you must step back and look.
Look not at the two sides of something,
for there are no distinct opposites.
Would we know light without the dark?
Would we know laughter without tears?
Would we know today without yesterday?
It seems, for all we call them opposites,
one cannot exist without the other.
And yet, we consider them so different from each other,
as if we cannot be both
strong and weak, young and old, brave and cowardly.
To follow the Tao,
you must embrace both wholeheartedly.

4 comments:

  1. The picture is really pretty!! I like how you asked questions and then said a sort of summary of your idea after that, because it's almost like you've indirectly answered the questions you just asked. I don't know if that makes sense or not hehe but what I mean is that I really like it! You go little homie~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the rhyming at the end of your poem, I feel like it ties the whole thing together really nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured the meaning of ying and yang very creatively and well. The questions in the middle of your poem are very thoughtful and I like the way it flows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you make us think about how we've been told that we cannot be both. The tone of this poem is very simple and questioning, and I really love it. Also, I don't know if you drew the picture or not, but either way, it's very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete